As much as we all enjoyed watching Jerry tormenting Tom while growing up, the idea of having a mouse in your house can be really scary to some people. Just like all the other rodents and parasites which can invade your home, rats and mice also carry numerous dangerous diseases like listeria, Hantavirus and salmonellosis that are potentially deadly to us and our pets. Don’t forget the feared Bubonic plague which wiped more than 40% of the population in Europe back in the 14th century. Mice and rats also play a key part in contributing to various dangerous allergies. Therefore, if you find their droppings all over your house, then it’s time to act> These rodents can chew anything including electric wires which can be very dangerous. So go through the reviews of these 7 best rat poison products and see which one will work for you.
Best Rat Poison Quick Comparison
Best Rat Poison Detailed Reviews
1. Motomco jaguar mouse & rat bait chunx/pail
This is the best rat poison for dealing with a stubborn infestation especially where the rodents in the house have become resistant to most of the over the counter rat poisons. Each packaging comes packed with 25g of pellet-baits ( diphacinone-an anticoagulant) and 1lb block bait of brodifacoum, which is a single-feed coagulant. This combination makes it possible for the poison to even deal with the warfarin-resistant rats. All the mice and rats that eat this poison die within 5 days. These ingredients are toxic to humans and pets so make sure you wash your hands after placing your bait.
- It can wipe out even the resistant super rats.
- It can kill all the rodents even if some fed just once.
- It’s very poisonous so make sure you keep it away from your pets and children
2. Neogen rodenticide ramik mouse-and-rat nuggets pouch – Best rat poison for wet and damp areas
This is an all-weather poison for controlling the rodents both outdoors and indoors. This rodenticide is perfect for using in wet and damp areas. These nuggets are just tasty and the rats will eat all the pellets in the tray and even carry some to their nests. Just make sure you keep the poison tray full all the time and moisture free. Some of the ingredients present in this rodenticide include Diphacinone, Bromethalin , Brodifacoum and Zinc phosphide formulated with food ingredients.
- This rodenticide can be used both indoors & outside
- It’s the perfect option to use during the rainy season
- Death occurs within 5 days when consumed
- Wax-free formula
- All the anticoagulant ingredients in this rodenticide make it poisonous to humans and even the pets.
3. Havoc rat & mouse bait
This rodenticide from Neogen combines the greater palatability of the meal-bait with their already proven anticoagulant ingredient Brodifacoum to get rid of all the warfarin resistant rats in places where there are competing feed sources. This active ingredient works by dehydrating the rodent, but does not dry the rat faster. This all-weather rodenticide can be used indoor and even in agricultural buildings
- It can be used in agricultural buildings
- Can be used both indoors & outdoors
- This rat poison comes packed with various dangerous ingredients which are harmful to both humans and animals.
4. Kaput rat mouse vole-bait – Eco-friendly best rat poison
This poison is formulated with warfarin, thus making it a lower risk rodenticide which can kill different types of rats including vole, house mice, Norway rats and roof rats. Warfarin is a highly effective anti-coagulant with very low effect on the environment. The product comes packed in small loose grains which the rats enjoy consuming, since they look like grains. You can place an unopened packet of the baits and the rats will just smell and start chewing through the package.
- Its low toxicity makes it a perfect rodenticide to use
- Since the granules look like grains, this is the best poison to use in agricultural buildings
- This product is quite poisonous to human so make sure you place vitamin K1 (warfarin antidote) around or any other rat poison blockers.
- It works well in a less concentrated area.
5. Motomco 008-32345 tom-cat rat & mouse bait pellet
With over 30 years of research done by tomcat, this product is your answer to all the stubborn rodents in your home. The active ingredient – the diphacinone – is an active anticoagulant which kills rats slowly and effectively. This rodenticide is easy to use and perfect for killing house mice, Roof and Norway rat. All you need to do is simply place some of the pellets on the trap and they will enjoy it.
- Its easy to use
- Kills Norway rats, roof rats & house mice
- This product is very toxic so should be kept away from pets and children. Plus any animal that eats the dead poisoned mice also gets poisoned
6. D-Con ready bait-bit mice-rat brodifacoum 3 oz-one tray
This easy-to-use tray requires no preparation; all you need to do is set your tray and wait. Make sure you place the tray in a more potent region. It’s also a perfect solution for a large infestation. The D-Con can be placed in the hard-to-reach corners in your home. This product is effective against Norway rats and all the warfarin-resistant rats. It actually can kill a rat in a single feed. The active ingredient in this product is Brodifacoum, an anticoagulant, which kills rats within 5 days of consumption.
- Small enough to fit in all the hard to reach areas
- Easy to use since there is no preparation needed
- Can also be used in highly infested areas
- Its highly toxic so keep it away from children and pets
- You will need more trays to cover a larger infestation
7. Farnam just one-bite II pellet packs
As the name suggests, just a single bite is enough to kill. The rodent will die within 4-5 days. This way there is no bait-shyness and all other rats can continue eating comfortably. The active ingredient in this product is the Bromadiolone, a 2nd grade anticoagulant which kills rodents within some few days of eating it. This pack can kills all the warfarin-resistant Norway rats in your home.
- It’s easy to use
- Kills all the rats in a highly infested area
- Kills warfarin resistant Norway rats
- It’s very toxic so keep away from children and pets
- It’s not moisture resistant, so don’t use in wet areas
Natural Rat Repellent
As much as rat poison works, you will need to stay safe and protect yourselves from rat bites after they consume this. An alternative way to keep your family safe is use a rat repellent spray or rat repellent peppermint oil, which will keep rodents away from your house.